Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Important things to remember when blogging ...

Some are new, some are not. Some serious, others seriously funny. There are all types of bloggers in the Cincinnati Women Bloggers and each one gives a unique and welcomed voice.

Knowing this diversity and range of experience, I thought the following article was appropriate. As a newbie blogger, it's a good place to start. As an established blogger, it's a good reminder.

2 Important Things to Remember When Blogging
August 23rd, 2008 Posted in Micro-Blogging, Smaller Indiana, Social Media Community, Social Strategy, blogging, social media

I am a new believer of Gary Vaynerchek. Gary is a self-made millionaire and web 2.0 genius! I stumbled across his site the past week and fell in love with his daily video blogs (vlogs anyone?). The energy Gary instills in the listener is unbelievable! Check out his site if you haven’t. You will not regret it!

My “social media circle” on FriendFeed, SmallerIndiana, and Twitter have been talking a lot about the secrets to blogging. What should be the reasons to blog? What kind of content do people want to read? Should you cater to an SEO type system?

Gary posted a great video about his opinion on How To Build a Great Show on the Internet. He relates building an online show to the likes of a blog or podcast. What I loved so much about the video is Gary completely destroying the glitz and glam aspect of social media

From Gary (semi-paraphrased by me):

“All that glitz and glamor is horse crap. It is not about the camera I use. It is not about the high-tech blogging software you use. It’s NOT! It’s not about the widgets. It’s not about the SEO

It is about Content and Community.

It is about giving from your heart on topics you understand.


Simply brilliant. Gary comes from the hardcore tactics of posting daily, responding to every reader email, and always being involved in the conversation. Content and Community should always be on the front burner of goals associated with business and personal blogs. If you start a blog strictly for SEO purposes, go ahead and join the ranks of lifeless posts.

If you care more about your bottom line than helping and joining the COMMUNITY behind your brand… Go ahead and send out an e-newsletter. Don’t waste your time with a blog.

From KyleLacy.com

-----------------------
So, Cincinnati Women Bloggers (and others) what's important to YOU when you're blogging? Are you building community and content? How? Why?

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

Feoshia said...

I decided to blog about locally owned businesses and community happenings in the suburbs because no one was doing it. I think its important that people are connected to where they live and local businesses and community events are a great way to do that.

www.cincyburb.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I agree - I like to talk about what is going on in my community and to promote other cincinnati bloggers.

At first I just wanted tons of readers, but as I went on, I realized I was more interested in having a core group of readers that had interesting things to say, both in comments and their own blogs.

I don't post every day, though - once a week if I'm lucky!

FoodHussy said...

I am a foodie and love to write about it so I started a food blog. It's really fun and I enjoy sharing my opinions. Plus the responses I get have been very interesting - some from the restaurant owners and some from friends and some from bloggers. It's fun! I love it!